Health care organizations have developed strategic agendas to help meet these standards and reduce the incidence of Never Events. Nurses significantly influence the overall quality of health care provided and play a pivotal role in improving patient outcomes.
For this Discussion, you will consider the standards that are in place for nurses and how they can be used to improve quality of care.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the information at the Joint Commission and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services websites on the core measures and standards presented in the Required Readings.
- Consider the nurseâ€™s role in supporting the organizationâ€™s strategic agenda as it relates to improving clinical outcomes.
- Conduct an Internet search for either a Never Event or a core measure and select one to address in your post.
Respond to the following:
- How has the emphasis on quality of care, patient safety, and clinical care outcomes been impacted by specific standards emanating from TJC and/or CMS? Cite your selected core measure or Never Event in your response.
- What is the impact of the nurseâ€™s role in clinical outcomes for the organization?
- Discuss nurse-specific challenges in influencing change in quality improvement.
- How does this influence the ability of the organization to achieve its strategic agenda?
Support your response with references from the professional nursing literature.