Clinical Field Experience C: Collaboration And Communication
Collaboration and communication are essential practices among educators since sharing knowledge and expertise helps accomplish the common goal of supporting ELLs’ acquisition of language and academic success. Educators can assist and support one another with lesson plan development, assessment practices, data analysis, and collecting resources, through intentional, timely, and regular communication. Clinical Field Experience C: Collaboration And Communication
Part 1: Team Meetings and Mentor Interview
Attend at least two grade level or content area team meetings with your mentor teacher. Notice the topics of discussion and how the team collaborates in respect to planning for, instructing, or assessing ELLs. After the meetings, interview your mentor about collaboration and locating resources for ELLs. Include the following questions in your mentor interview:
- How have you built professional relationships with your colleagues? What is your advice on building collaborative relationships with colleagues and maintaining strong communication?
- What are some teaching and assessment strategies you have learned through your collaboration with colleagues? How do you and your team make time for data analysis?
- What resources and strategies, including technology-based, do you use to communicate with colleagues on the instruction of ELLs?
- What are some behaviors to avoid that could weaken professional relationships and collaboration? What do you do, or have you done, when a colleague does not want to collaborate?
- How do you collaborate with colleagues in locating and sharing resources that support ELLs? Where do you find resources and materials, including digital resources, that support student learning? What types of technology, including apps, do you utilize and adapt for instructional purposes, student practice activities, and student assessments?
- How do you locate additional resources that align with the grade level and ELP/ELD standards to support struggling learners? Clinical Field Experience C: Collaboration And Communication
- How do you ensure culturally relevant and multicultural materials are used across content areas?
NOTE: Be sure to take notes during the meetings and interview, as you will provide them when submitting this assignment.
Part 2: School Librarian/Media Specialist Interview
Collaborate with your mentor to interview a school librarian/media specialist or school/district staff with expertise in supporting teachers with locating resources and materials, including digital media and technology.
With the help of your mentor, create a list of interview questions that focus your interview on culturally and linguistically relevant and multicultural materials and resources for supporting ELLs and adapting resources, including appropriate technology, for the instruction of ELLs in language, literacy, and content areas.
NOTE: Be sure to take notes of the interview questions and responses, as you will provide them when submitting this assignment.
Part 3: Reflection
In 250-500 words, write a reflection on using and adapting materials and resources to foster student learning and support communication and collaboration with colleagues. Include the following in your reflection:
- How you plan to use and adapt culturally and linguistically relevant materials and resources, including digital, to foster student learning in language and content areas
- How you plan to use and adapt materials and resources, including appropriate technology, to support communication and collaboration with colleagues in the planning, development, and implementation of instruction for ELLs. Clinical Field Experience C: Collaboration And Communication
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.