NURS 340 Week 3 – Epidemiology and Implementing Evidence-Based Practice Assignments and DQ
This week and next you will study the epidemiology and implementing evidence-based practice. This course is set up so that you will study one topic for two weeks at a time. You will need to post to the discussion board every week, but your assignments will be due on the second week for each new topic throughout the course. Pay close attention to the agenda to guide you on what to submit each week. Agenda
- Read Chapters 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, & 21 from your text.
- Watch the Epidemiology and Implementing Evidence-Based Practice presentation and review all related course materials.
- Respond and participate in Week 3 discussions. NURS 340 Week 3 – Epidemiology and Implementing Evidence-Based Practice Assignments and DQ
This week you will:
- Explain the three levels of prevention in relation to Public Health.
- Identify a multisystem prevention approach to people, families, and communities.
- Comprehend the basic principles and scope of epidemiology and their application to the practice of public health nursing.
- Apply the public health surveillance systems to food- and water-borne illnesses as well as sexually transmitted diseases.
- Analyze the major means of transmission of communicable diseases.
- Identify factors that influence emerging and reemerging infectious diseases.
ORDER NOW FOR AN ORIGINAL PAPER!!! NURS 340 Week 3 – Epidemiology and Implementing Evidence-Based Practice Assignments
Thank you for your post, you are right it is easy to get infected when the conditions are right! Acute care hospitals continue to struggle with the transmission of antibiotic resistant bacteria. A major component in the fight against microbial resistance is the creation of an antibiotic stewardship program (ASP). Public and private organizations, e.g. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, American Hospital Association and Infectious Diseases Society of America have partnered together to present a standardized, multidisciplinary approach to ASPs in hospitals regardless of bed size. Federal, state and local public health continues to guide hospitals as they develop ASPs in an effort to reduce their MDRO rates and increase patient safety. NURS 340 Week 3 – Epidemiology and Implementing Evidence-Based Practice Assignments and DQ
Twenty-three NICU outbreaks were reported from 2010-2014. Of these, 78% were caused by a MDRO, including MRSA, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and ESBL Escherichia coli. In 2014, eight outbreaks occurred in a NICU. Seventy-five percent of these were caused by a MDRO, including MRSA and E. coli. Outbreaks that occur in most NICU settings are unique since infants have typically not been exposed to the outside world and transmission is either vertical, from mother to infant, or from family/friends or the healthcare worker. Neonatal age, preterm gestational age, underlying medical conditions, antibiotic use and immature immune system are all risk factors for healthcare-acquired infection. NURS 340 Week 3 – Epidemiology and Implementing Evidence-Based Practice Assignments
retrieved from: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/acd/reports/annual/2014Annual.pdf
History: Week 4 HRSA Data Warehouse Website Activity and Reflection
Complete the HRSA Data Warehouse Website Activity.
- Read about the HRSA Data Warehouse and what it does here: https://datawarehouse.hrsa.gov/about/abouthdw.aspx
- Watch the “By Geography Training” tutorial found at the following link: http://datawarehouse.hrsa.gov/resources/tutorials.aspx/
- Explore some data by selecting Clark County, Nevada using the Data by Geograhy tool here: http://datawarehouse.hrsa.gov/.
- Next use the HRSA Fact Sheets tool located under the same link to look up HRSA’s activities in HHS regions, states, counties, and congressional districts and compare the data to the Clark County, Nevada data you found using your geography results. Analyze the data included in the fact sheets. Consider the data sets found in the fact sheets. How does Nevada compare nationwide when it comes to the data sets? What about Clark County?
- Complete a new search using the Data for Geography tool for your state and county. Compare the results of your query to your Clark County, Nevada search.
- Identify HRSA program resources for HIV/AIDS in your state and county. What are they? How many clinics are funded by HRSA?
Write a two-page paper reflecting on the data you collected and analyzed. How will this data warehouse be useful to you as a professional nurse? Your paper should be at least two pages in length, in APA format, typed in Times New Roman with 12-point font, and double-spaced with 1” margins. NURS 340 Week 3 – Epidemiology and Implementing Evidence-Based Practice Assignments