Nursing Leadership Presence
Nurses are often portrayed in films and television. From Nurse Ratched in One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest, to Julia Baker in Julia, and Gaylord “Greg” Focker in Meet the Parents, nurses have been portrayed showing various traits. Some are positive, while others are less than caring. For each, the five elements of emotional intelligence, 1) self-awareness, 2) self-regulation, 3) motivation, 4) empathy, and 5) social skills, are expressed at different levels. Select a nurse archetype portrayed in films or on television and consider the following.
- What features of emotional intelligence does your selected nurse portray? What features are they lacking? Provide an example to support your rationale.
- If you were the nurse’s leader, how would use your change agent characteristics to support that individual’s growth? Provide specific examples using scenarios from the setting from which the nurse is portrayed.
- How does complexity theory or chaos theory influence the organization in which the nurse is portrayed? Provide specific examples to support your rationale.
Use an APA 7 style and a minimum of 250 words. Provide support from a minimum of at least three (3) scholarly sources. The scholarly source needs to be: 1) evidence-based, 2) scholarly in nature, 3) Sources should be no more than five years old (published within the last 5 years), and 4) an in-text citation. citations and references are included when information is summarized/synthesized and/or direct quotes are used, in which APA style standards apply.
• Textbooks are not considered scholarly sources.
• Wikipedia, Wikis, .com website or blogs should not be used.