Nursing Week 4 – Drop Box Assignment – Unit 4 RFID Implantation Scenario
NSG 3150 – Healthcare Informatics
Week 4 – Drop box Assignment – Unit 4 RFID Implantation Scenario APA Paper
***This assignment utilizes TurnItIn. When you submit this assignment to the assignment drop box, it will automatically be submitted to TurnItIn. You will receive an Originality Score along with an Originality Report that should be carefully reviewed. If revisions need to be made to your assignment, you will be able to make additional submissions, and you will quickly receive updated Originally feedback. It is important to plan ahead so that you have enough time to review your originality feedback and make any revisions to your assignment before the final due date. Please see instructions for using TurnItIn in the Course Welcome module under Useful Resources.
The government has created a committee to investigate the potential of implanting a radio-frequency implantable device (RFID or commonly known as a “chip”) in every U.S. citizen OR on the use of the ‘Smartcard’ (i.e., card that incorporates an individual’s medical care record). In order to reduce the issues surrounding patient safety including patient identification, and maintenance of a complete and accurate history of disease processes and medications, this RFID or ‘Smartcard’ will contain all the individual’s medical information. Nursing Week 4 – Drop Box Assignment – Unit 4 RFID Implantation Scenario
When the patient arrives at a point-of-care, the RFID or the ‘Smartcard’ is scanned, and all the
information is uploaded into the provider Electronic Health Record (EHR) system. Upon discharge, information is then downloaded back to the RFID or the ‘Smartcard’.
You have been invited as a nursing representative for your state to provide a report to the committee regarding the use of the RFID or the ‘Smartcard’. Choose one of these technologies and complete the following information to produce your report.
For this assignment, please draft a paper to include the following information:
- Create and introduction paragraph describing the topic (RFID or Smartcard), explain what will be addressed in the paper, and evaluate the pros and cons of using implantable devices or the
Smartcard. Nursing Week 4 – Drop Box Assignment – Unit 4 RFID Implantation Scenario
- Create an introduction: Introduce the topic (RFID or Smartcard)
Body of the Paper:
- Evaluate the Pros and Cons:
- Analyze the pros and cons of the use of the implanted RFID or the ‘Smartcard’. To assist you in analysis, explore the US Food and Drug Administration Guidance Document
and investigate other sources on the internet or in the current literature. There are companies currently producing “chips.” Read marketing information found online for companies producing “chips” for additional background information.
- Explain how you use smart devices in your personal life. How has this technology been incorporated in society?
- Assess the Ethical, Legal and Social Implications:
- What are the potential legal, ethical, and social implications, which should be considered if implementing and using RFID or the ‘Smartcard’ if it is instituted, in your practice setting?
- Identify populations who might greatly benefit from the use of the RFID or the ‘Smartcard’? (e.g., people with Alzheimer’s, children, those with cognitive disabilities, etc.).
- Refer to the scenario above. How would the redundancy of information be addressed for the RFID or the ‘Smartcard’?
- Evaluate the Scenario and Discuss a Policy to Incorporate
- Identify how your organization could incorporate the use of either of these technologies (RFIDs or other smart devices, such as Smart phone) in the practice setting?
- Discuss the logistics. How would a healthcare provider access the information from the patient’s RFID or the ‘Smartcard’?
- In thinking of the scenario above, identify the extent that patients can access their own information? Can the user access the exact same information as the healthcare provider?
- What types of policies might be needed at your healthcare facility to safeguard patients who have an implanted RFID or the ‘Smartcard’? Nursing Week 4 – Drop Box Assignment – Unit 4 RFID Implantation Scenario
- Conclusion and Recommendation
- Draft a conclusion statement which summarizes a possible recommendation for using RFID or Smartcard devices or explain why you feel further consideration of use is not warranted.
- Grammar and APA Format
- Present your analysis in a scholarly, 4-6 page, APA-formatted paper with the following elements:
- Title Page (not included in page count)
- Citations throughout
iii. Introduction – Catch the reader’s attention with interesting facts and supporting sources.
- Body of analysis:
- Present the pros and cons about the RFID or the ‘smart card.’ Think globally and historically.
- Identify the ethical, legal, and social implications of RFID or the ‘Smartcard’ use.
- Discuss policies to incorporate at your facility to safeguard patients with RFIDs or the ‘Smartcard.’
- Conclusion and Recommendation – Summarize the analysis and offer a recommendation. Is the RFID or the ‘Smartcard’ a plausible method for the future of health care interoperability and portability of health information?
- Reference Page (not included in page count)
Important note to students: Pay close attention not only to the details of this assignment but also to the spelling, grammar, and syntax of your work. You are encouraged to use your Galen resources such as Grammarly, APA Style Central, etc. to complete this assignment. Nursing Week 4 – Drop Box Assignment – Unit 4 RFID Implantation Scenario