CRAAP Test and Library Worksheet
CRAAP Test Directions: Go to the Credibility of Information page and select one of the Web pages reviewed there for this exercise. You will then assess that Web page for credibility using the questions on the CRAAP Test Worksheet below. Guidance is provided on the Credibility of Information page about how to effectively use and score the CRAAP Test for the reviewed Web pages.
|Name of Web Page Evaluated:|
Use the following questions to help you evaluate the above source of information. Answer the questions and then score each category from 1–10 (1=unreliable, 10=excellent). Add up the score to help you decide whether you should use that source for your coursework. Psychology homework help
|Currency: The timeliness of the information.||Currency Score|
|1. Is the information current enough (in psychology, usually within five years)?
2. Has the information or website been revised or updated in the past six months?
3. Are the links functional?
|Relevance: The importance of the information for your needs.||Relevance Score|
|1. Does the information relate to your topic or answer your question?
2. Is the information at an appropriate level (that is, not too elementary or too advanced for your needs?
3. Have you looked at a variety of sources before choosing this one?
|Authority: The source of the information||Authority Score|
|1. Are you able to determine who is the author or publisher of the information?
2. Can you verify the author or publisher’s credentials as a respected expert on the topics?
3. Does the URL help you determine the source? (.edu; .com; .gov; .org)
|Accuracy: The reliability, truthfulness, and correctness of the content.||Accuracy Score|
|1. Did the author back up his or her statements with credible evidence and list or link to verifiable sources?
2. Is the information free of spelling, grammar, or other typographical errors?
3. Does the language or tone seem unbiased and free of emotion?
|Purpose: The reason the information exists.||Purpose Score|
|1. Is the purpose to inform? (And not to sell, entertain, or persuade)
2. Is the information fact? (And not opinion or propaganda)
3. Is the source free of ideological, cultural, religious, institutional, or personal biases? Psychology homework help
· 45–50 Excellent
· 40–44 Good
· 35–39 Average
· 30–34 Borderline Acceptable (Below 30 is not an acceptable score.)
Adapted from the CRAAP Test created at the Meriam Library at the California State University at Chico.
Library Worksheet Directions: Locate the article below in the Capella Library using Summon. Use the Searching by Author in Summon Library Guide and the Keyword Search in Summon video to help you create your search for this article.
Dr. Arch Mainous published an article in 2018 about primary care physicians sharing scientific findings (key word: research) in an era of fake news.
After you have located the article and read it, answer the following questions:
- What is the full title of the article Dr. Mainous published in 2018?
- What is the name of the professional journal in which this article appears?
- What volume and issue of the journal contains this article?
- What pages from that journal contain this article?
- What is the DOI of this article?
- Is this a scientific research article or an editorial/commentary about research?
|[ ] scientific research article
[ ] editorial/commentary
- Briefly, summarize in a paragraph of your own words (paraphrase) what is the primary purpose of the Mainous article? Psychology homework help
- Summarize in a paragraph of your own words what Mainous recommends primary care researchers do when publishing future scientific studies to overcome science denial and claims of “fake news”.
- What is the in-text citation for this journal article using APA style?
- What is the reference for this journal article using APA-style?
- How much time did it take you to complete this exercise and worksheet? Select one answer.
|[ ] About what I planned or expected
[ ] More time than I planned or expected
[ ] Less time than I planned or expected
- If this took more or less time than expected, what changes do you intend to make in your future time management planning? Be specific.
Save this completed worksheet as a Word document (.doc, .docx) on your computer. Then, attach a copy of this document as your submission for the Week 3 assignment.
This assignment will help you build skills in evaluating and finding resources—essential tasks to master whenever you need information for your day-to-day life or in school. We start with the Internet, as a source of information you are already familiar with and where you’ll evaluate a provided website to apply the CRAAP Test. From the internet, we move to a source of information you’ll want to learn, the Capella Library. You’ll be asked to locate a specific article and share some of what you find. As you complete this exercise, reflect on the difference between Internet and library sources. Can you guess which ones your instructors will prefer you to use? Psychology homework help
For this assignment, begin with locating the Internet article identified in the CRAAP Test and Library Worksheet.
Use the questions on the CRAAP Test to evaluate the Internet article and score each category—Currency, Relevance, Authority, Accuracy, and Purpose. Add up your scores to determine the article’s total score. The assignment worksheet provides a rating and guidance with how acceptable the source is for your use.
After evaluating the Internet article using the CRAAP Test, move to the second section of the worksheet to explore a different type of resource. Locate the article (using the little information provided) from the Capella Library using Summon and respond to the questions using complete sentences. Note: Detailed guidance on locating a journal article using keywords is provided in the Keyword Search in SummonLinks to an external site. | Transcript video. Complete the following:
- Locate the correct journal article in a library search when provided with minimal search information.
- Assess the credibility of an online source of information.
- Apply the psychological principle of denial to the topic of scientific research findings.
- Develop the skills of paraphrasing and summarizing to represent the purpose of an external source.
- Assess your personal time management plan for this assignment.
- Did the time to complete this assignment take less time, more time, or about what you expected to complete?
- What future changes can you make based on your first assignment’s time management planning?
- Communicate using a well-organized paragraph with a clear main idea.
- Integrate appropriate use of scholarly sources, evidence, and citation style.
Refer to the rubric to ensure that your work meets the grading criteria for this assignment.
Save the completed CRAAP Test and Library Worksheet [DOCX] as a Word document (.doc or .docx) on your computer. Then, attach a copy of this document as your assignment submission. Psychology homework help