Psychology Week Three Assignment Two
Find two scholarly journal articles (describing original research; not a review paper) on a topic that has been covered in the class so far. The two articles should each explore the same topic.Write a thorough, critical synthesis and comparison of the articles. You may use this template to help organize your paper: Article Critique Template Article Critique Template – Alternative FormatsInclude the following sections/information in your paper:
- Introduction, including:
- Article topics
- Rough background of the literature (across the two articles)
- What are the common theoretical frameworks across the two articles? Where do they diverge?
- Research questions and hypotheses
- Briefly compare/contrast the research methods in the two articles, including:
- Research design
- Sample and sampling method
- Identification and measurement of variables
- Study procedures
- Data collection
- Summary of the results for each study (limit yourself to 1-2 paragraphs for each study), including:
- Interpretation of the findings
- Discussion of how the results connect with the research question(s) and hypothesis
- Discussion of what the study means in the big picture (how does it apply to society in general?) Psychology Week Three Assignment Two
- Critique of each study, including:
- Strengths and weaknesses of the study
- Discussion of possible flaws in the study and how they are connected to the study design
- Discussion of the generalizability of the study (both population and ecological)
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay onPsychology Week Three Assignment Two
- Synthesis of the commonalities and differences in findings/significance of the two studies
- Discussion of recommendations for future research, including:
- Recommendations to address the identified gaps or flaws in the study
- Recommendations that indicate an understanding of research design
- Conclusion, including:
- Summary of the main points of the study
- Summary of the critique and recommendations
- Discussion of how learning theory relates to the research
Article Critique: Fear of Flying
Article Critique: Fear of Flying
Beauchamp, Greenfield, Campobello (2000) studied how implosion therapy and systematic desensitization affected people with a fear of flying. Their repeated measures study provided treatment for 50 participants, all of whom had significant fears. What follows is a critique of the positive and negative points in this study, as well as what can be taken from the study applied to the field of treatment of fear of flying.
Background of Research
Here is my synopsis of the introduction. What is the researcher’s question? Did they provide adequate reasons for looking at this topic (does it seem important, are they filling a gap in the literature)? What is their hypothesis? Let the reader know the importance of this study.
Summary of Methods
Here is my synopsis of the methods section. Describe the study procedures. Describe the participants (who they are, how they were sampled). Describe the measures (are they measuring the construct well, are they valid and reliable measures). Describe any other significant parts of the study that might lead to confounds to internal validity. Describe the methodology in a way that makes it easy to see how the study was conducted.
Summary of Results and Discussion
Here is my synopsis of the results and discussion section. Describe the researcher’s most important results and how they apply to the big picture.
Here is where I discuss potential confounds to internal validity and how it affects the confidence in the results. I will also discuss construct validity here (do the research get at the construct they are measuring). If I am relatively confident, I can then discuss external validity and how the study might generalize to others. I will then move on to what the study means in the bigger picture (how does it fit into the area, does it change how society thinks about the problem). I will also describe how I might redo parts of the study if I were to conduct a similar study. (Note: You can also pepper the critique throughout the sections above). Psychology Week Three Assignment Two
Here is where I would provide a conclusion to the paper.
Beauchamp, M., Greenfield, M. D., & Campobello, L. (2000). Treatment of flying phobia: Comparative efficacy of two behavioral methods. Journal of Research in Anxiety, 22, 236-252. Psychology Week Three Assignment Two