Week 8 Discussion: Health Care in Spirituality
2020 unread replies.2121 replies.
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 12
- 1 video (noted in options)
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook/lesson)
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, respond to one of the following options:
Watch the following video:
- Link (video): Spirituality, Suffering, and Illness: Conversations for Healing (Links to an external site.) (32:31)
For the initial post, address the following:
- How would you define spirituality after viewing this film? What is its role in dealing with health care issues?
- Discuss the Trinity Model by describing the relationship among the 3 primary concepts: suffering, belief and spirituality.
- In what ways does the film suggest that a healthcare professional can facilitate the “softening of suffering”? How does this relate to your own worldview?
- Discuss one key learning you gleaned from this film and how you can apply it in your professional practice.
Watch the following video:
- Link (video): Spiritual Assessment in Healthcare (Links to an external site.) (32:17)
For the initial post, address the following points:
- What is spiritual assessment as defined in this video? Why is it important for health care professionals to understand how to use it?
- Do you agree or disagree with the film’s premise that a health care professional’s personal spirituality (or lack) affects his/her ability to assess spirituality in another? Explain your reasoning.
- Choose one of the spiritual assessment questions reviewed in the film and answer it personally, based on your own beliefs and experience.
- Discuss one key learning you gleaned from this focus on spiritual assessment. Demonstrate how you would apply it in your professional practice.
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least two peers or one peer and the instructor. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification. Note: This week you can focus on peers who chose the same option as you or also engage with those who chose the other option – your choice!
- Minimum of 3 posts (1 initial & 2 follow-up)
- Initial Post Length: 300-500 words
- Minimum of 2 sources cited (assigned readings/online lessons and one outside scholarly source)
- APA format for in-text citations (include page or paragraph) and references
This activity will be graded using the Discussion Grading Rubric. Please review the following link:
- Link (webpage): Discussion Guidelines
Course Outcomes (CO): 3, 4
Due Date for Initial Post: By 11:59 p.m. MT on Wednesday
Due Date for Follow-Up Posts: By 11:59 p.m. MT on Saturday